New (to me) Basting

When I first started quilting, I used the traditional safety pin technique that I think most of you use. It was fine when I was hand quilting, but when I started machine quilting I found that I was getting a lot of wrinkles and puckers in my quilting. I saw a tutorial somewhere for basting with spray adhesive and I fell in love. So easy! No pesky pins to get in the way! My quilt sandwiches were nice and flat and I didn’t have any more problems with puckers and wrinkles.

The downside to spray basting is that the spray adhesive is very expensive. For a baby quilt, I would go through at least an entire can, maybe a can and a half. With each can costing about $15 (unless I could find a coupon to get it cheaper) it added a significant cost to each quilt. Not to mention the mess the spray adhesive left behind on the floors.

Speaking of floors, getting down on all fours at 8 months pregnant to finish Henry’s quilt was no joke! My knees and ankles were killing me by the time I got the quilt sandwich done, and I spent the next day on my hands and knees again cleaning up all the spray adhesive that got all over the floor. No, there had to be a better way!

When it was time to make the quilt sandwich for the Sunburst quilt, I decided to do some research. First, I decided to go back to pin basting. I knew I had all the pins I would need and maybe 4 years of quilting experience would make a difference in the wrinkles and puckers department. I watched a ton of videos on YouTube and came across this video showing How to Sandwich a Large Quilt on a Small Table. Ingenious, why didn’t I ever think of it?? When I was first quilting I would not have had an appropriate table to do it on, but now I have a proper cutting table that would work perfectly. I basted the quilt using this method, along with the pins and had no problems quilting. I broke a needle once because I wasn’t paying close attention and ran into a pin, but that was my fault. Another trick I learned from watching videos was not to close the safety pins after sticking them in. They still stayed in the quilt and it made pulling them out while quilting much faster.

I’ll probably use this method from now on now that I know how easy it is! A couple other interesting videos I saw were this one using wooden slats to baste and this one using a Quiltak basting gun. So many ways to get the same job done, I love the creativity of quilters! 😀

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.